From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Upgrade from single to dual core CPU
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:40:37
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin posted
2 <200601251816.33479.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:16:33 +0100:
4
5 > On Wednesday 25 January 2006 17:59, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
8 >> I build with -j5 and 1GB of ram. If it ooms for you, you have a broken
9 >> kernel, get a better one. (I use ck-sources, and have never seen an OOM
10 >> of any variety)
11 >
12 > I used a wide array of kernels.
13 >
14 > OOM is easy:
15 > compile kde-base or kdelibs with kdeenablefinal or wesnoth.
16
17 With a gig of physical memory here, and swap entirely turned off for some
18 time, my issues weren't with kdebase or kdelibs, but with kdepim, before
19 the spit ebuilds, or kmail, since them. With USE=kdeenablefinal, there's
20 one spot in the kmail build that takes over 700MB for a single
21 build-thread! I watched as the single thread gobbled that much, in top.
22
23 I have swap reenabled now, four, 4-gig partitions, each on a separate SATA
24 drive, set at the same swap-priority, thus giving me 16-gig of 4-way
25 striped swap, which seems to work quite well along with my 4-drive RAID-6
26 (thus two-way striped) main system and 4-way striped RAID-0 /tmp,
27 /var/tmp, ccachedir, and the like, all running on separate partitions of
28 the same 4-drive SATA set (300 gig Seagates). Now, I regularly run upto
29 five separate emerges at the same time, each with -j3, in ordered to keep
30 both Opteron 242s busy. I can even do that with one of them being kmail,
31 without issue now, all while continuing to run X with my existing KDE, and
32 PAN and my existing kmail, without serious UI slowdown.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
38 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list