From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Upgrade from single to dual core CPU
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:14:02
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wednesday 25 January 2006 20:37, Duncan wrote:
4 >
5 > With a gig of physical memory here, and swap entirely turned off for some
6 > time, my issues weren't with kdebase or kdelibs, but with kdepim, before
7 > the spit ebuilds, or kmail, since them. With USE=kdeenablefinal, there's
8 > one spot in the kmail build that takes over 700MB for a single
9 > build-thread! I watched as the single thread gobbled that much, in top.
10
11 swap does not help.
12
13 I had several ooms with tons of swap free...
14
15 (I have posted one of these to lkml and asked for an explanation, but got
16 none).
17
18 So I use -j1 now.
19 Has the advantage, that my single core, single cpu box is much more responsive
20 while compiling away in the background ;)
21 --
22 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list