From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: OT: Need advice on usb thumb drive boot
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:02:22
1 "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg> posted
2 45E510B6.8060104@×××××××××××.sg, excerpted below, on Wed, 28 Feb 2007
3 13:18:46 +0800:
4
5 > From the net, I gather that flash drives have a limited write/erase. Is
6 > there a way that this can be overcome?
7 >
8 > I was thinking of aufs. From what I understand, with aufs all the write
9 > is done only once when we shutdown the server. In this way everything is
10 > in the ram until a sync command is sent. This way the flash drives will
11 > last longer. Is this correct?
12 >
13 > I could also make a symbolic link for the /var and /tmp to the main
14 > drives.
15
16 With modern thumb drives it shouldn't matter that much. They have a wear-
17 leveling write algorithm that spreads out the writes such that no one
18 cell gets worn out significantly before the others, and such drives often
19 last longer than regular drives now days.
20
21 I'd go ahead and symlink /var and /tmp to your regular drives and make
22 sure swap (if any) is on the regular drives as well, but other than that,
23 it shouldn't matter much. Or... do what I did with my 8 gig of RAM, and
24 run /tmp on tmpfs, with /var/tmp symlinked to it as well. It definitely
25 speeds up merges when all the temporary work files are in RAM based
26 tmpfs! =8^)
27
28 If you want extra safety, use the RAID-1 as you suggested, but make sure
29 the drives are two different manufacturers (if possible, make sure the
30 FLASH comes from two different suppliers as well), thus avoiding two
31 drives with such close characteristics that they die together. If you
32 want more safety than that, either expand it to a three-way RAID-1 or
33 swap out one of the two for a new one in say 9 months, using the one
34 that's swapped out for something else.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list