From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problems compiling on Sun Java workstation with dual Opterons.
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:14:42
1 Hi, i've never experienced the same problem nor do I have a dual Opteron
2 setup, but I'll try to help:
3
4 Nestor Camacho III wrote:
5 > It would just stop compiling. Would not freeze, I was able to do
6 > anything else, but it would just stop processing what it was currently
7 > compiling. When I alt f2 into another window and do a top, I would see
8 > that the sh process was at 99%, and had been running for a long time. If
9 > I do a kill -HUP, on the process things would continue... but I can't
10 > imgaine that his is a fix for the problem.
11
12 Seems like an infinite loop perhaps, but might as well be something
13 else... As always, it might be software or hardware :)
14
15 Do these problems reliably show up with a particular ebuild? You should
16 be able to tell which ebuild it was by looking at the end of
17 /var/log/emerge.log -- if yes, it might be the fault of that ebuild and
18 it would be interesting to know if you can reliably cause it to spin
19 forever.
20
21 If not it would probably have to be kernel and/or hardware (unless
22 somehow the ebuild is behaving non-deterministically). Anything special
23 noted in the output of dmesg or /var/log/messages that might indicate
24 faulty hardware (for example, memory)? Though hardware failure can have
25 lots of reasons (memory, psu, bad/dying capacitors). You might perhaps
26 want to try a few nights of memtest on it. I also don't know what
27 problems bad sectors on a hdd could cause for an ebuild (maybe something
28 like trying to create a file and always failing?).
29
30 > Is there anyone out there that has had this problem?
31
32 I also vaguely remember seeing some bugs on the kernel.org bugzilla that
33 were about smp-kernels on opterons having strange random segfaults (due
34 to apparently some small error in their tlb). I don't know if the fixes
35 have already been folded into the current gentoo and vanilla kernels or
36 if your processor is actually affected (btw, which kernel are you
37 running?). Maybe someone who is running smp can comment?
38
39 > PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
40 > *21166 root 25 0 4232 428 340 R 99.4 0.0 827:12.92 sh*
41 > 21278 jedi 16 0 188m 67m 12m S 2.0 3.3 0:11.35 python
42
43 I'm a bit puzzled by those two lines, did you run emerge as a regular
44 user (seems like it or is that python process something else)? I don't
45 really know how good running emerge is supposed to work when not being
46 run as root.
47
48 Good luck,
49 Marco