From: Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Problems compiling on Sun Java workstation with dual Opterons.
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:54:01
1 Nestor Camacho III wrote:
2 > It would just stop compiling. Would not freeze, I was able to do
3 > anything else, but it would just stop processing what it was currently
4 > compiling. When I alt f2 into another window and do a top, I would see
5 > that the sh process was at 99%, and had been running for a long time. If
6 > I do a kill -HUP, on the process things would continue... but I can't
7 > imgaine that his is a fix for the problem.
8
9 I just joined this list about an hour ago, so I haven't seen the orginal
10 post. Thought I'd pass along the experience I had recently installing Gentoo
11 on a dual Opteron box, as it seems it may be relevant. The first week was
12 very frustrating due to the fact that compiles would just stop at various
13 randomly chosen points during either the stage1 or stage2 build. Compiler
14 would just stop, no error message, no error indication of any kind, just no
15 output, though a ctrl-c would return to the command prompt.
16
17 Being the stickler for getting a clean build that I am, I would abort the
18 install and start over with different use flags and/or compile switches, or
19 various other changes. Nothing resolved the hang untill I disabled SMP and
20 the IOAPIC by adding "nosmp" and "noapic" to the command line of the install
21 CD.
22
23 I've done several re-installs since then, for various reasons, all related
24 to deciding I wanted something different. The hang has never happened since.
25 Note this only seems to ba a problem with the kernel on the install CD, as
26 after one particular install I sucessfully emerged kde-meta (about 36 hours
27 of downloading and compiling) with the SMP enabled kernel I built.
28
29 FWIW
30
31 Bob Young