From: Nestor Camacho III <gentoo@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problems compiling on Sun Java workstation with dual Opterons.
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 00:22:26
1 Hmm.... this sounds a lot like my problem... I have managed to get my
2 box up, but I still get the hangs as mentioned in my post outside of the
3 live cd kernel. I am running an smp kernel. Using gentoo 2.6.12.r10. I
4 will upgrade to the latest 2.6.13.r3 and see if that cleans things up.
5
6 thanks for the info. If anyone else has any more please chime in! :)
7
8 Nes++
11 Bob Young wrote:
12
13 >Nestor Camacho III wrote:
16 >>It would just stop compiling. Would not freeze, I was able to do
17 >>anything else, but it would just stop processing what it was currently
18 >>compiling. When I alt f2 into another window and do a top, I would see
19 >>that the sh process was at 99%, and had been running for a long time. If
20 >>I do a kill -HUP, on the process things would continue... but I can't
21 >>imgaine that his is a fix for the problem.
25 >I just joined this list about an hour ago, so I haven't seen the orginal
26 >post. Thought I'd pass along the experience I had recently installing Gentoo
27 >on a dual Opteron box, as it seems it may be relevant. The first week was
28 >very frustrating due to the fact that compiles would just stop at various
29 >randomly chosen points during either the stage1 or stage2 build. Compiler
30 >would just stop, no error message, no error indication of any kind, just no
31 >output, though a ctrl-c would return to the command prompt.
32 >
33 >Being the stickler for getting a clean build that I am, I would abort the
34 >install and start over with different use flags and/or compile switches, or
35 >various other changes. Nothing resolved the hang untill I disabled SMP and
36 >the IOAPIC by adding "nosmp" and "noapic" to the command line of the install
37 >CD.
38 >
39 >I've done several re-installs since then, for various reasons, all related
40 >to deciding I wanted something different. The hang has never happened since.
41 >Note this only seems to ba a problem with the kernel on the install CD, as
42 >after one particular install I sucessfully emerged kde-meta (about 36 hours
43 >of downloading and compiling) with the SMP enabled kernel I built.
44 >
45 >FWIW
46 >
47 >Bob Young