From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Hard drive (installation)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 19:50:54
1 On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Henry W. Peters <hwpeters@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Hope this is a good list for my question/problem (please someone direct me
5 > to another list, if not).
6 >
7 > I purchased a HP Pavillion desktop, AMD64 computer on the premise that I
8 > could add an additional HD (verified by an HP "technician")... on which I
9 > plan to install Gentoo... I (finally) got the additional hard drive... but
10 > now it appears that you CANNOT add an additional internal HD... (no room, no
11 > slot, unless perhaps one does modifications, then (most likely, there goes
12 > the warantee?)).
13 >
14 > So my question is: will an external HD work (I do audio
15 > editing/recording/graphics) as a system/work space? & more importantly, will
16 > Gentoo install on such a HD (external, usb 3))
17 >
18 > Thanks much for any advice/help.
19 >
20 > Henry
24 Hi,
25 If you really need a new drive (i.e. - the one that came with your
26 machine is just too small, etc.) then I'd look at imaging the drive
27 that's currently installed, putting in a larger drive, partitioning
28 this larger drive to hold both Gentoo and what ever M$ OS you might be
29 using, and then just work to get both OS's working but keep the
30 current drive on the shelf as a backup. This way you could always go
31 back to what you have.
32
33 Just an idea.
34