From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: USB Scanner Problems with Newer Kernels/Libusb
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 23:57:28
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
2 > Fork? Who's gonna take on that challenge? It seems that a handful
3 > of developers, with their own special and exclusionary agenda, will control
4 > the Linux GE for all time.
5
6 Forking the bulk of this stuff isn’t very productive, because it’s not
7 good enough to improve upon significantly. At best what can be done by
8 forking is stuff like eudev, hacks to try to minimize the damage.
9
10 It’s just not competent software, as a whole. What am I to make of it,
11 that I have to use OpenBSD’s pkg-config clone, because the one from
12 freedesktop, the most basic piece of software in the system, does not
13 work correctly? I think they haven’t even done something as simple as
14 properly maintain the serial number of pkg.m4.