From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: USB Scanner Problems with Newer Kernels/Libusb
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 23:26:10
1 On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 14:57:26 -0800
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I sort of feel that the kernel will always be
5 > the kernel and everything that gets piled on top sort of seems to take
6 > care of itself in the end. If freedesktop.org goes down a path where
7 > it gets too complicated then I believe\think\hope some other group
8 > will step forward quietly, fork that portion
11 Yes, the kernel is fine. But I need/want a GUI, not a DE, just a GUI --
12 and that's the problem because freedesktop.org is the only game in town
13 and whatever they do everyone must do. Coupled with the fact that graphics
14 processors are all tightly controlled by Nvidia, Radeon, etc. we are
15 destined for an extremely monolithic Linux graphical environment in
16 the future.
17
18 Fork? Who's gonna take on that challenge? It seems that a handful
19 of developers, with their own special and exclusionary agenda, will control
20 the Linux GE for all time.
21
22 Frank Peters