From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Update config files
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:22:44
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Mark Haney posted <43C2D21B.9040303@××××××××××××.org>, excerpted below,
3 > on Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:14:03 -0500:
6 >> What's the best way to update config files? I am a big fan of RH's method
7 >> of dealing with them, and can't stand the way Debian does it, so how do
8 >> the majority of Gentoo users manage their config files?
11 > You have the answer in other posts (etc-update, or dispatch-conf, if you
12 > want to keep an RCS history of config file versions), but the very fact
13 > that you are even asking the question means you haven't read the handbook
14 > very well, and very possibly haven't read other than the install section
15 > at all!
16 >
17 > That's seriously distressing, as it means you are missing a *LOT*
18 > of *VERY* *USEFUL* information, information that will make administration
19 > of your Gentoo system *MUCH* easier!
20 >
21 > Here's the link to the contents page for the Gentoo Handbook, amd64
22 > version:
23 >
24 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml
25 >
26 > I'd /seriously/ recommend that you go back and read the "Working with
27 > Gentoo" and "Working with Portage" sections. Some chapters you can safely
28 > scan, rather than actually reading them. This is particularly true of the
29 > stuff about ebuild and initscript internals. However, other parts are
30 > critical to a smooth experience as a Gentoo user (== a Gentoo
31 > system sysadmin).
32 >
33 > Gentoo is rightly recognized for having some of the BEST user
34 > documentation out there, in terms of Linux distributions. Why not use
35 > this great resource at your disposal, particularly when it makes your life
36 > as a Gentoo system sysadmin /so/ much easier?
37 >
38 > When you are done there, consider reading the manpages for emerge and
39 > portage at least.
40 >
41 > My favorite hint, covered in the handbook but I'll emphasize it here as
42 > well, is FEATURES=buildpkg, which will give you binary package backups of
43 > everything you merge. This is a big time and a** saver, allowing you to
44 > quickly revert to an older version of a package if you suspect a new one
45 > might be causing issues, then return to the new version if you find it
46 > isn't, all without forcing you to recompile the package in question, since
47 > you have a binary package, created during your original merge, available.
48 > Equally helpful, it's far easier to recover from portage or gcc breakage
49 > if you have binary packages available locally. The buildpkg feature will
50 > require 1-4 gigs of additional space, to store all those binary packages.
51 > A gig will do it, but 4 gigs allows you to keep multiple versions of the
52 > fastest moving packages around, and won't require cleaning out old
53 > versions as often.
54 >
55 > Of course, the answer to your question, how to deal with config file
56 > updates, is covered in the handbook as well.
59 You know, personally, I really _dislike_ getting flamed from a post
60 almost a month old. For the record, I _have_ read the documentation.
61 But for those of us who've done this a long time, the documented way
62 isn't always the _best_ way. I asked only to see if there was another
63 possibly better method of handling configuration files. I was not aware
64 of dispatch-conf at the time as I had been using etc-update.
65
66 I simply do not have time to re-read the documentation every other day
67 to keep up with those types of changes. If I did, I wouldn't have time
68 to do any work.
72 Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
73
74 Mark Haney
75 Sr. Systems Administrator
76 ERC Broadband