From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Advice On Enabling Transparent Hugepage
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 20:33:25
1 During kernel configuration there is an option called CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE
2 which allows the use of Transparent Hugepages or application memory pages larger
3 than the traditional 4K size. This option has been available for a while but
4 I've never enabled it. However, it would seem like a good idea to use.
5
6 Searching for more information I can find no comments on actual Hugepage
7 performance for a simple desktop Linux system. Can anyone verify or refute
8 the idea that Transparent Hugepages will lead to improvements on a desktop
9 system? Does an application have to specifically request Hugepages or
10 does the allocation occur for all applications?
11
12 Frank Peters