From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Advice On Enabling Transparent Hugepage
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 21:05:34
1 On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > During kernel configuration there is an option called CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE
3 > which allows the use of Transparent Hugepages or application memory pages larger
4 > than the traditional 4K size. This option has been available for a while but
5 > I've never enabled it. However, it would seem like a good idea to use.
6 >
7 > Searching for more information I can find no comments on actual Hugepage
8 > performance for a simple desktop Linux system. Can anyone verify or refute
9 > the idea that Transparent Hugepages will lead to improvements on a desktop
10 > system? Does an application have to specifically request Hugepages or
11 > does the allocation occur for all applications?
12
13 AFAIR there were claims of up to 10% performance improvement in
14 certain test scenarios, and that you don't need to do anything special
15 to exploit THP in existing software (but applications can be rewritten
16 in such a way as to specifically make better use of it).
17
18 There is a setting that lets you expose THP _only_ to those programs
19 which specifically request it, rather than backwards-compatible to all
20 programs if you are worried about that.
21
22 Check out the in-kernel documentation (vm/transhuge.txt) for details.
23
24 Anecdotal: I have turned it off and on and don't "feel" any difference
25 in the operation of my computer either way...