From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Advice On Enabling Transparent Hugepage
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 22:52:06
1 On Thu, 2 May 2013 16:05:10 -0500
2 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > There is a setting that lets you expose THP _only_ to those programs
6 > which specifically request it, rather than backwards-compatible to all
7 > programs if you are worried about that.
10 I don't really expect an answer, but what programs incorporate the
11 MADV_HUGEPAGE directive in their source code? Since THP is relatively
12 new for the Linux kernel, it would seem that most Linux software has not
13 yet included MADV_HUGEPAGE and could not benefit from THP if it is
14 limited to madvise only.
15
16 Also, if a program does include MADV_HUGEPAGE would it need to be
17 recompiled with a THP enabled kernel?
18
19 These are some questions I will have to research.
20
21 However, the madvise manpage has this to say about THP:
22
23 "This feature is primarily aimed at applications that use large mappings
24 of data and access large regions of that memory at a time (e.g., virtualization
25 systems such as QEMU)."
26
27 I wonder if image or sound processing applications are using MADV_HUGEPAGE.
28
29 Frank Peters