From: Hernan Lopez <hernanlp83@×××××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] boot Gentoo from USB key
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:40:01
1 Hello, I´m did install UtutoXS2007 (based on Gentoo 2007), FreeBsd, and I don´t have this problem. Generally the USB key when exec the post the same is (sd0) and boot, then of boot the usb key, (sd0) is the principal Hard Disk, NOT THE USB KEY, this pass of (sd0) to (sd1).
2 Partitions:
3
4 Kingston 512Mb
5 /boot=>ext2
6 /=>ext3
7
8 copy grub to /boot/grub and exec grub
9 > root (sd0,0) =>where is the boot partition en USB
10 > setup (sd1) => then that change de sdx number to sd1.
11 > quit
12
13 This mode I have not any problem.
14
15 Sorry by my english ;)
16
17 BYe.
18 Hernán López Pardo
19 http://otrodiaparaser.blogspot.com
20
21 "Yo soy argentino, por eso uso Ututo en mi PC."
22 www.ututo.org
23 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
24 "Cara no es la ciencia; cara es la ignorancia."
25 BERNARDO A. HOUSSAY - (1887-1971)
26
27 "No sigas mis pasos, no seas sombra de nadie; aprende de mis pasos y sigue tu camino"
28 DANIEL O. FERREYRA - (1967-2???)
31 --- El mié 30-abr-08, Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com> escribió:
32
33 > De: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
34 > Asunto: [gentoo-amd64] boot Gentoo from USB key
35 > Para: "gentoo-amd64" <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
36 > Fecha: miércoles, 30 de abril de 2008, 3:43 am
37 > In the process of building an amd64 diskless box, I am
38 > trying to make a
39 > bootable USB key with no success up to now.
40 >
41 > The first problem I encountered was related to ext2/vfat. I
42 > initially
43 > tried to format the key as ext2, but grub refuses to
44 > install on it. Even
45 > though I copied the /boot/grub/* directory into the key,
46 > and I see it is
47 > there, grub does not see it. The problem does not happen
48 > with vfat.
49 >
50 > So I worked around that and created two partitions in the
51 > key, a small
52 > vfat for the /boot and a 2Gb ext2 for the /. I copied the
53 > stage3 into
54 > the / with no problem. In the /boot I put the kernel image
55 > which I am
56 > already using on the same box, for now with discs still
57 > connected. All
58 > the modules are compiled in.
59 >
60 > When I boot from the key, grub enters the shell (although I
61 > did create
62 > the grub.conf and menu.1st, so I don't understand why
63 > it doesn't show
64 > the menu). I manually specify the kernel file location and
65 > root
66 > parameter:
67 >
68 > > kernel /linux-2.6.24-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/sdg1
69 > > boot
70 >
71 > The kernel starts to load, but panics because it is unable
72 > to find the
73 > root partition. When it stops it shows the available
74 > partitions, these
75 > include all the hard disk partitions but no USB key
76 > partition. In fact,
77 > if I omit the 'root' parameter from the grub shell
78 > the boot works fine
79 > but it uses the hard disk root partition instead of the USB
80 > one.
81 >
82 > >From the log on the screen the USB controller seems
83 > correctly detected,
84 > so I don't understand why it is not finding the root.
85 > While writing this
86 > one idea comes to my mind, maybe it is failing because I
87 > attach the key
88 > to a SDC/MMC/USB card reader? This evening I'll try to
89 > plug it into a
90 > different USB slot.
91 >
92 > Any other ideas welcome.
93 >
94 > raffaele
95 >
96 > --
97 > gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list
100 Tarjeta de crédito Yahoo! de Banco Supervielle.
101 Solicitá tu nueva Tarjeta de crédito. De tu PC directo a tu casa. www.tuprimeratarjeta.com.ar
102 --
103 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list