From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] boot Gentoo from USB key
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:57:27
1 Hernan Lopez wrote:
2 > Hello, I´m did install UtutoXS2007 (based on Gentoo 2007), FreeBsd, and I don´t have this problem. Generally the USB key when exec the post the same is (sd0) and boot, then of boot the usb key, (sd0) is the principal Hard Disk, NOT THE USB KEY, this pass of (sd0) to (sd1).
3 > Partitions:
4 >
5 > Kingston 512Mb
6 > /boot=>ext2
7 > /=>ext3
8 >
9 > copy grub to /boot/grub and exec grub
10 >
11 >> root (sd0,0) =>where is the boot partition en USB
12 >> setup (sd1) => then that change de sdx number to sd1.
13 >> quit
14 >>
15 This is what OP has been trying to do withut success, since grub refused
16 to do install to USB key since it can't find it as a disk to which you
17 could install stage 1/1.5/2 and make it bootable.
18 And going to FreeBSD is not the solution, useable for all of us.
19
20 Also, it is not clear to me whether your is always at (sd0) even if you
21 plug some SATA disks in your system and boot it and also if it goes for
22 all other disks also.
23
24 Be it as it may, on linux at least for traditional /dev/sdX links it
25 doesn't work, but it should work for addressing the drive through
26 /dev/disk/by-uuid or /dev/disk/by-path or /dev/disk/by-id.
27
28 Regards,
29
30 Branko
38 > This mode I have not any problem.
39 >
40 > Sorry by my english ;)
41 >
42 > BYe.
43 > Hernán López Pardo
44 > http://otrodiaparaser.blogspot.com
45 >
46 > "Yo soy argentino, por eso uso Ututo en mi PC."
47 > www.ututo.org
48 > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
49 > "Cara no es la ciencia; cara es la ignorancia."
50 > BERNARDO A. HOUSSAY - (1887-1971)
51 >
52 > "No sigas mis pasos, no seas sombra de nadie; aprende de mis pasos y sigue tu camino"
53 > DANIEL O. FERREYRA - (1967-2???)
56 > --- El mié 30-abr-08, Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com> escribió:
59 >> De: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
60 >> Asunto: [gentoo-amd64] boot Gentoo from USB key
61 >> Para: "gentoo-amd64" <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
62 >> Fecha: miércoles, 30 de abril de 2008, 3:43 am
63 >> In the process of building an amd64 diskless box, I am
64 >> trying to make a
65 >> bootable USB key with no success up to now.
66 >>
67 >> The first problem I encountered was related to ext2/vfat. I
68 >> initially
69 >> tried to format the key as ext2, but grub refuses to
70 >> install on it. Even
71 >> though I copied the /boot/grub/* directory into the key,
72 >> and I see it is
73 >> there, grub does not see it. The problem does not happen
74 >> with vfat.
75 >>
76 >> So I worked around that and created two partitions in the
77 >> key, a small
78 >> vfat for the /boot and a 2Gb ext2 for the /. I copied the
79 >> stage3 into
80 >> the / with no problem. In the /boot I put the kernel image
81 >> which I am
82 >> already using on the same box, for now with discs still
83 >> connected. All
84 >> the modules are compiled in.
85 >>
86 >> When I boot from the key, grub enters the shell (although I
87 >> did create
88 >> the grub.conf and menu.1st, so I don't understand why
89 >> it doesn't show
90 >> the menu). I manually specify the kernel file location and
91 >> root
92 >> parameter:
95 >>> kernel /linux-2.6.24-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/sdg1
96 >>> boot
97 >>>
98 >> The kernel starts to load, but panics because it is unable
99 >> to find the
100 >> root partition. When it stops it shows the available
101 >> partitions, these
102 >> include all the hard disk partitions but no USB key
103 >> partition. In fact,
104 >> if I omit the 'root' parameter from the grub shell
105 >> the boot works fine
106 >> but it uses the hard disk root partition instead of the USB
107 >> one.
108 >>
109 >> >From the log on the screen the USB controller seems
110 >> correctly detected,
111 >> so I don't understand why it is not finding the root.
112 >> While writing this
113 >> one idea comes to my mind, maybe it is failing because I
114 >> attach the key
115 >> to a SDC/MMC/USB card reader? This evening I'll try to
116 >> plug it into a
117 >> different USB slot.
118 >>
119 >> Any other ideas welcome.
120 >>
121 >> raffaele
122 >>
123 >> --
124 >> gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list
128 > Tarjeta de crédito Yahoo! de Banco Supervielle.
129 > Solicitá tu nueva Tarjeta de crédito. De tu PC directo a tu casa. www.tuprimeratarjeta.com.ar
133 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list