From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is swap need when there is 4g of ram?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:04:33
1 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
2 200703142003.11766.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
3 on Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:03:11 +0100:
4
5 > j2 for MAKEOPTS and +kdeenablefinal and after some time each one of the
6 > makejobs want 900mb ram. There are two libs where that happens, makes
7 > kdepim the slowest-to-compile packet for me. Wesnoth is also an
8 > offender. Some versions want 500mb+ at some point when compiling.
9
10 In general c++/g++ is FAR more memory and CPU intensive than gcc
11 compiling C. I look at it this way (non-technical explanation), the OOP
12 functionality of C++ is a great productivity enhancement for programmers,
13 making them more effective. However, the tradeoff is that it makes the
14 compiler work harder doing all the stuff automatically that the
15 programmer didn't do manually.
16
17 For those of us using split KDE packages rather than the monolithic
18 versions, kmail is the particular part of kdepim that requires the huge
19 resources. With USE=kdeenablefinal (which is designed for file
20 distribution level compilation, and turns on a bunch of compile resource
21 expensive optimizations to make run-time performance as good as
22 possible), on AMD64 at least, one specific compile job in that package
23 requires over a gig of memory at one particular point. Anybody who has
24 only a gig of memory WILL be in swap at that point, there's no way around
25 it except to USE=-kdeenablefinal for that package, setting it in
26 package.use or whatever.
27
28 It'd be interesting to be enough of a programmer to figure out exactly
29 what's requiring all that memory, but it's beyond my rather limited
30 capacities in that area, so...
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list