From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: -fPIC - Toolchain broken?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:35:29
1 Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at> posted
2 45374B67.6010901@×××××××××××.at, excerpted below, on Thu, 19 Oct 2006
3 11:54:47 +0200:
4
5 > Duncan wrote:
6 >> So... anytime I see this error, the first thing I try is flipping some
7 >> CFLAGS on and off, and see if there's a reasonable combination that
8 >> works.
9 >> Only if that fails do I try -fPIC and bug it as necessary.
10 >>
11 > But wouldn't that apply only to errors that occur during the configuration
12 > step? Or have you observed a situation where a compilation change
13 > triggered by a failing non-essential test caused an error later?
14
15 Yes. Case in point is the very -fPIC we are discussing. If the configure
16 tests -fPIC and due to a warning decides it can't be used, it doesn't
17 simply abort, but continues the process thru the rest of the config and
18 into the compile and linking. Only later in the linking, and gets an error
19 similar to that of this thread because shared objects require -fPIC on
20 this platform, does it realize things went wrong. Then the error it spits
21 out says to compile with -fPIC, when that's what it would have been doing
22 if the config hadn't misinterpreted an unrelated warning on the -fPIC test
23 as an indication that it shouldn't be used.
24
25 (The other half of your post addressed in the other subthread.)
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list