From: Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: -fPIC - Toolchain broken?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:56:23
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > So... anytime I see this error, the first thing I try is flipping some
3 > CFLAGS on and off, and see if there's a reasonable combination that works.
4 > Only if that fails do I try -fPIC and bug it as necessary.
5 >
6 But wouldn't that apply only to errors that occur during the
7 configuration step? Or have you observed a situation where a compilation
8 change triggered by a failing non-essential test caused an error later?
9 > -fPIC is an interesting beast. It's required on amd64 for all shared
10 > objects (*.so*), but isn't recommended (except for hardened) for
11 > application binaries, both due to occasional unexpected complications and
12 > because it's slower. Thus, putting it in CFLAGS is NOT a good thing,
13 > unless it's for a specific library package only, to get it to merge while
14 > you are waiting for the bug you filed on it (right?) to get
15 > researched/fixed/tested.
16 >
17 Speaking of which, is there any way to configure flags per package?
18 Something like /etc/portage/package.flags, where I can configure CFLAGS,
19 CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS?
20
21 Sebastian Redl
22 --