From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: What went wrong
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:55:08
1 On Wednesday 17 January 2007 09:47, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:00:45 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > >
4 > > In this country the power supply system is quite civilised.
5 >
6 > Maybe, but not as good as it used to be. Brownouts are far too
7 > commonplace nowadays. After moving house a few years ago, less than a
8 > mile, I experienced random hardware failures; hard disks, motherboard,
9 > even two 22" monitors (fortunately still in warranty). I suspected bad
10 > power and, touch wood, everything has been reliable since fitting a UPS.
11
12 That's the first I've heard of it. Maybe I should look into a UPS for
13 myself.
14
15 > I now have to create my own failures in software :)
16
17 Oh, that's the easiest part!
20 Rgds
21 Peter