From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: What went wrong
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:49:19
1 On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:00:45 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > > Back to your situation, however. It's not electrical spikes from
4 > > either the power or whatever broadband you have killing everything,
5 > > right? Your story just sounded too familiar.
6 >
7 > In this country the power supply system is quite civilised.
8
9 Maybe, but not as good as it used to be. Brownouts are far too
10 commonplace nowadays. After moving house a few years ago, less than a
11 mile, I experienced random hardware failures; hard disks, motherboard,
12 even two 22" monitors (fortunately still in warranty). I suspected bad
13 power and, touch wood, everything has been reliable since fitting a UPS.
14
15 I now have to create my own failures in software :)
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Windows Multitasking - screwing up several things at once