From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: What went wrong
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:03:19
1 On Tuesday 16 January 2007 21:42, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > Back to your situation, however. It's not electrical spikes from either
4 > the power or whatever broadband you have killing everything, right? Your
5 > story just sounded too familiar.
6
7 In this country the power supply system is quite civilised. To illustrate: I
8 remember quite a heated discussion involving an American who was adamant
9 that no supplier of surge suppressors could possibly offer a replacement
10 guarantee on any equipment damaged by spikes when connected to its
11 suppressors. Not and stay in business, that is. Over here, though, I have
12 such a guarantee certificate in the filing system which relates to the
13 surge suppressor I use to supply my installation, and such guarantees are
14 common. It undertakes to replace any equipment damaged by a spike, up to a
15 value of £20,000. What I'm trying to say is that I can rule out waywardness
16 of the public electricity supply. Oh, and the phone line also passes
17 through a section of the suppressor and I'm confident that I'm not being
18 spiked that way either. And we haven't had lighting hereabouts for quite a
19 while anyway. Drizzle, yes, but not lightning.
20
21 No, the problems are local. That disk has done some damage, I'm fairly sure
22 but with no real evidence, and I probably haven't helped either. Yes, I do
23 use an earthing strap (or sometimes I take a short-cut and keep one hand in
24 contact with the framework), but somebody suggested the other day that my
25 floppy disk drive's signal cable might have been connected the wrong way
26 round (what price keys, eh?), so I tried it the other way, thinking that
27 the symptoms could fit. That didn't help, so I put it back again and since
28 then the Ethernet ports have been dead. Defensive design? What's that?
29
30 Sometimes, when nothing works, it's hard to find a way in so as to fix it.
33 Rgds
34 Peter
37 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list