From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] amd64codecs masked
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 21:37:49
1 On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:57:42 +0100
2 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > 2008/11/7 Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>:
5 > >
6 > > Hi, guys
7 > >
8 > > Recently, after "emerge --sync && emerge -DuN world" portage
9 > > started to show me warning that amd64codes is masked by Mr Steve
10 > > Dibb for security reasons [1].
11 > >
12 > > Yes, I have amd64codes installed as dependency of mplayer [2], but
13 > > I'm pleased with my system now and I don't want to damage mplayer by
14 > > uninstalling those codecs. On the other hand, of course, I don't
15 > > want to have problematic packages installed. What should I do in
16 > > this case?
20 [snip]
23 > the bug doesn't really seems very bad from the bug descrition. you
24 > could just manually unmask the package as i did. the alternative is to
25 > use -real and to not compile any realcodecs but you won't be able to
26 > play wmv and rm files anymore. if you don't have that sort of files
27 > you could just use -real and remove the amd64codecs.
30 Thanks for the reply.
31 I hate to unmask packages, because I forget to clean the entries
32 when they become obsolete. It seems I'll make an exception this
33 time.
37 Best regards,
38 Daniel