From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] *big* printing problem (solved)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 23:01:41
1 On Saturday 18 February 2006 23.20, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > I'll jump in here also as I'm on an AMD64 which otherwise is workign
3 > pretty well but I have numerous printing problems also. Maybe my
4 > problems are similar to Thierry's and some answers will help him. (I
5 > hope...)
6 >
7 > My environment is an AMD64 machine running Gentoo-64 and then two
8 > printers on my network. One is an Epson on an older FC2 machine and
9 > the other is an HP on a Mac Mini running OS X. I periodically lose the
10 > ability to print anthing. Sometimes I print from the AMD64 to the MAc
11 > using the lpr command and it can take up to 2 hours before the file
12 > gets printed. Other times I can print and it comes out immediately.
13 >
14 > One most frustrating problem is that simple commands like lpstat -a do
15 > not work unless BOTH the Mac and the FC2 machine are on. If EITHER
16 > machine is turned off lpstat fails tellign me it cannot reach the CUPS
17 > server. If I try to print when either machine is off I'm likely to get
18 > nothing.
19 >
20 > Is this normal? It would be better if it would just work with whatever
21 > is turned on. Is there a way to fix this?
22 >
23 > Thanks,
24 > Mark
25
26 Well, I unfortunately can't answer to these questions. Once I've got Linux
27 running smoothly on the amd64 I'll probably take a look at Mac printing...
28
29 However, I figured out what my problem was when, after I changed some USE
30 flags and followed the advice to recompile things to take these flags into
31 account, I once again ran into the problem of gnome-print not compiling.
32
33 So I googled a bit to try and understand what exactly gnome-print was doing (I
34 have not compiled Gnome "itself" as I use KDE), didn't understand it really
35 but found a statement saying that "programs could use gnome-print or
36 gimp-print".
37 I did not have gnome-print and could not get it, so I emerged gimp-print
38 and... my computer prints!
39
40 So it appears that cups runs on another "level" than gimp-print and that both
41 are required to get something printed, while kde... well, I don't know what
42 kde uses but here it obviously needed gimp-print. Perhaps someone with more
43 knowledge on this list will explain, anyway as far as I am concerned it now
44 works.
45
46 Thierry
49 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
50 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
51 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
52 Frank Zappa
53 --
54 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list