From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] *big* printing problem
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:22:43
1 On 2/18/06, Paolo Ripamonti <paolo.ripamonti@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Maybe some sort of iptables rule blocking access to local print server?
6 I'll jump in here also as I'm on an AMD64 which otherwise is workign
7 pretty well but I have numerous printing problems also. Maybe my
8 problems are similar to Thierry's and some answers will help him. (I
9 hope...)
10
11 My environment is an AMD64 machine running Gentoo-64 and then two
12 printers on my network. One is an Epson on an older FC2 machine and
13 the other is an HP on a Mac Mini running OS X. I periodically lose the
14 ability to print anthing. Sometimes I print from the AMD64 to the MAc
15 using the lpr command and it can take up to 2 hours before the file
16 gets printed. Other times I can print and it comes out immediately.
17
18 One most frustrating problem is that simple commands like lpstat -a do
19 not work unless BOTH the Mac and the FC2 machine are on. If EITHER
20 machine is turned off lpstat fails tellign me it cannot reach the CUPS
21 server. If I try to print when either machine is off I'm likely to get
22 nothing.
23
24 Is this normal? It would be better if it would just work with whatever
25 is turned on. Is there a way to fix this?
26
27 Thanks,
28 Mark
31 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list