From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel recompile?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:18:40
1 On Tuesday 31 October 2006 09:59, Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel recompile?':
3 > I think gcc version should not have impact on X because NVidia's drivers
4 > are binary, closed source - they don't care about the gcc used to
5 > compile the kernel or the X server. Actually I think the emerge only
6 > installs those drivers and checks for common configuration errors.
7
8 No, there's no way to make a pure binary driver that works on all systems,
9 because symbols in the kernel will be at different locations depending on
10 options it was compiled with.
11
12 Instead, nvidia distributes a mostly binary driver, with a small
13 source "shim" that is compiled against the kernel and passes messages
14 between the fixed binary interface of the binary part and the non-fixed
15 interface of the kernel.
16
17 The compiler you build the module with does have to match the compiler you
18 built the kernel with.
21 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
22 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
23 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
24 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh