From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel recompile?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:03:05
1 Piotr Pruszczak wrote:
2 > Daniel Iliev napisał(a):
3 >> Piotr Pruszczak wrote:
4 >>> Sean napisał(a):
5 >>>> I asked in another message due to an X problem I am now having, but I
6 >>>> also thought this question deserved a post of its own.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> With my recent upgrade of gcc to 4, does the kernel need to be
9 >>>> recompiled?
10 >>> YES !!!
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> - Why !?
14 > modules compiled with gcc4 will cause troubles with gcc3 kernel
15 >
16 > so - your X problem is in my opinion caused by this reason
17 > simpliest way - just try ;) to re-compile kernel && modules
22 ;-))))
23
24 My X is just fine. It is Mr. Sean who has hard time with the X.
25 I think gcc version should not have impact on X because NVidia's drivers
26 are binary, closed source - they don't care about the gcc used to
27 compile the kernel or the X server. Actually I think the emerge only
28 installs those drivers and checks for common configuration errors.
31 Best regards,
32 Daniel
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list