From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Late in the game Windows dual-boot question
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 09:44:31
1 Peter Humphrey posted <200605020855.21021.prh@××××××××××.uk>, excerpted
2 below, on Tue, 02 May 2006 08:55:20 +0100:
3
4 > On Monday 01 May 2006 13:09, Duncan wrote:
5 >
6 >> All that said, as I've mentioned a couple times now, on a single disk
7 >> system, there's a /huge/ cost in terms of access speed, to access swap.
8 >
9 > So, following a suggestion of yours some time ago, as I have 4 GB RAM in
10 > this box I compiled the kernel without swap code and ran without a swap
11 > partition. It seemed to work well, though I didn't run any proper tests.
12 > I've reverted to using swap more recently because I'm running the new
13 > vmware-server package, which seems to eat memory wholesale and I don't
14 > want to risk running out of space. I don't think swap space is actually
15 > being used though. So far.
16
17 Now that I've 8 gig of physical memory, I've seriously debated turning off
18 swap again. The 4x4 gig striped swap is fast enough that using it isn't a
19 problem. However, the suggestion you mention, that the swap code in the
20 kernel is a whole section of complex code that can be disabled and removed
21 from the kernel entirely if swap is disabled at compile time, is still
22 100% valid. I haven't decided whether the small chance of actually using
23 swap justifies keeping swap in the kernel or not. I suppose it doesn't,
24 and I'd certainly remove it if I didn't have the 4-way-striped swap, but
25 with the striped swap, I haven't decided.
26
27 Actually, the reason I re-enabled it again was to try swsusp, which writes
28 the memory image to the swap partition, so there has to be such a thing
29 and AFAIK swap has to be enabled, too. However, I've had decidedly mixed
30 results. Back with 2.6.15 (the last I tried), anyway, it seemed I /could/
31 suspend if I'd not activated either the network or X. If I'd activated
32 one or either and then quit X and stopped the network, it would sometimes
33 work, sometimes not.
34
35 I should really try again with .17-rcX and the 8 gig memory, which I
36 didn't have back then either. If I can get it working reliably, great,
37 that's a good reason to keep swap enabled. If not, I should kill the
38 entire supporting infrastructure in the kernel, swsusp, CPU-hotplug
39 (necessary for swsusp on a dual CPU system), and swap as well.
40
41 The thing is finding the time and motivation to do it. It takes quite
42 some patience, since testing it involves shutting the hardware down, and
43 seeing if it can successfully resume when I turn it back on. If it
44 doesn't, that's a full boot sequence. Even if not, it's a full BIOS
45 power-on sequence, and this BIOS has one VERY annoying
46 bug/feature/trait -- it insists on checking the floppy (and cd and dvd,
47 but floppy is the worst) on boot, even if I have the BIOS set to NOT check
48 it (and not boot from it). That adds about 30 seconds to the boot
49 sequence right there, while the thing clicks away on the floppy. (This
50 particular BIOS is on the Tyan site as a beta, not full release, but it
51 fixed a couple other things, so I wanted/needed it, even with this
52 irritating bug.)
57 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
58 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
62 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list