From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Late in the game Windows dual-boot question
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 07:58:04
1 On Monday 01 May 2006 13:09, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > All that said, as I've mentioned a couple times now, on a single disk
4 > system, there's a /huge/ cost in terms of access speed, to access swap.
5
6 So, following a suggestion of yours some time ago, as I have 4 GB RAM in
7 this box I compiled the kernel without swap code and ran without a swap
8 partition. It seemed to work well, though I didn't run any proper tests.
9 I've reverted to using swap more recently because I'm running the new
10 vmware-server package, which seems to eat memory wholesale and I don't want
11 to risk running out of space. I don't think swap space is actually being
12 used though. So far.
15 Rgds
16 Peter.
17 --