From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Recover files on ext4 partition
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 20:41:55
1 On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Bernhard
2 Auzinger<nordpolcamper@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > does anyone of you have some experience in recovering a wiped out ext4
6 > partition?
7 >
8 > I accidentially ran "mkfs.ext4" on a ext4 partition for which I do not have
9 > a backup (I wanted to format sdg but instead I accidentially took sde :( ).
10 >
11 > Is there a way to recover the data in this case?
12 >
13 > Rgds
14 > Bernhard
15
16 Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that. The first advice before trying
17 anything is to get another hard drive or partition and make a clone or
18 image of the partiton, in case attempting to repair it actually
19 damages it worse.
20
21 I don't know if ext4 writes its superblocks and other data in the same
22 place every time or if it randomizes it. If it's random, then maybe
23 the old data can still be found. I would try things like dumpe2fs,
24 fsck, testdisk to see if it can find some files from your formatted
25 partition. I don't know if ext4 is so similar to ext3 that perhaps
26 ext3 tools might be able to find something. I don't know of any
27 ext4-specific tools (other than fsck)
28
29 I suspect a total recovery is unlikely (unless you had a backup).
30
31 Good luck!