From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Recover files on ext4 partition
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 00:51:49
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> posted
2 58965d8a0907081341i22045daasaef92f2bd21d4da0@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:41:53 -0500:
4
5 > On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Bernhard
6 > Auzinger<nordpolcamper@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> does anyone of you have some experience in recovering a wiped out ext4
9 >> partition?
10 >>
11 >> I accidentially ran "mkfs.ext4" on a ext4 partition for which I do not
12 >> have a backup (I wanted to format sdg but instead I accidentially took
13 >> sde :( ).
14 >>
15 >> Is there a way to recover the data in this case?
16 >>
17 > Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that. The first advice before trying
18 > anything is to get another hard drive or partition and make a clone or
19 > image of the partiton, in case attempting to repair it actually damages
20 > it worse.
21
22 I'd reemphasize that again. The first rule in such a recovery is take an
23 image and work with it, so you don't make the problem worse.
24
25 dd or dd-rescue (which works better in the case of physically damaged
26 hardware, but shouldn't matter so much here) is the usual imaging tool.
27 Just be SURE you're pointing it at the correct write location.
28
29 Beyond that, I'd suggest contacting the maintainer (Ted Ts'o) himself, or
30 more accurately, the ext4 list (much better than mailing an individual
31 for something like this), as ext4 is new enough and different enough from
32 ext3, it's unlikely there's standard recovery tools out there for it yet.
33
34 If it was a conversion from ext3, you can probably still get most of the
35 original ext3 files back at least, using ext3 recovery tools to do so,
36 but may not get anything updated since then. If it was originally ext4,
37 that list is very likely to have tools they used in testing that will be
38 quite helpful. They'll almost certainly have some technique hints for
39 you, as well.
40
41 From the /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS file (snipped and reformatted for
42 posting):
43
44 P: Person
45 M: Mail patches to
46 L: Mailing list that is relevant to this area
47 W: Web-page with status/info
48 T: SCM tree type and location. Type is one of: git, hg, quilt, stgit.
49 S: Status, one of the following:
50
51 Maintained: Someone actually looks after it.
52
53 F: Files and directories with wildcard patterns.
54 A trailing slash includes all files and subdirectory files.
55 F: drivers/net/ all files in and below drivers/net
56 F: drivers/net/* all files in drivers/net, but not below
57 F: */net/* all files in "any top level directory"/net
58
59 EXT4 FILE SYSTEM
60 P: Theodore Ts'o
61 M: tytso@×××.edu
62 P: Andreas Dilger
63 M: adilger@×××.com
64 L: linux-ext4@×××××××××××.org
65 W: http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org
66 S: Maintained
67 F: Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt
68 F: fs/ext4/
73 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman