From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: upgrade an old system
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 11:05:09
1 Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com> posted 49FFEE21.8040204@××.com,
2 excerpted below, on Tue, 05 May 2009 09:43:29 +0200:
3
4 > For the packages (e.g. seamonkey) I need to recompile I try to use the
5 > --buildpkgonly emerge option on the main system to generate a binpkg,
6 > rather than setting up the distcc environment, looks easier.
7
8 If your main system is substantially faster at building, yes, I'd
9 consider building everything on it and not bothering with distcc.
10
11 BTW, you've not mentioned (nor asked about, but since it might speed
12 things up for you...) what sort of emerge environment you use on either
13 of your systems.
14
15 If you've a decent amount of memory, with 4 gig it'll be very noticeable,
16 in theory it could be down to a gig as well, but I honestly don't know
17 what the results under 2 gig would be and whether it might have more
18 negative effects than positive...
19
20 Consider pointing PORTAGE_TMPDIR at a tmpfs.
21
22 The idea is based on the fact that everything portage does in its tmpdir
23 (/var/tmp by default) is temporary, erased as soon as it's done emerging
24 that package. Since tmpfs uses swap backed memory, worst-case, it has to
25 write to swap -- that is, to disk, which is where it would otherwise be
26 writing ALL the temporary files. With memory access so much faster than
27 disk access, every file that's erased before it hits disk saves time, and
28 it can make a BIG difference in emerge times.
29
30 So if you're not already doing it on your main machine and it has the
31 memory, try it. And on the slower machine, with memory as cheap as it
32 is, if it's possible to upgrade memory, consider doing so. You may then
33 just find that emerges are fast enough that for packages not already on
34 the main machine anyway, it's fast enough to merge them locally that it's
35 not worth the hassle of doing the pkgonly thing on the main machine.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman