From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: upgrade an old system
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 11:48:57
1 Duncan wrote:
4 > Consider pointing PORTAGE_TMPDIR at a tmpfs.
5 >
6 > The idea is based on the fact that everything portage does in its tmpdir
7 > (/var/tmp by default) is temporary, erased as soon as it's done emerging
8 > that package. Since tmpfs uses swap backed memory, worst-case, it has to
9 > write to swap -- that is, to disk, which is where it would otherwise be
10 > writing ALL the temporary files. With memory access so much faster than
11 > disk access, every file that's erased before it hits disk saves time, and
12 > it can make a BIG difference in emerge times.
15 Duncan, you talk about tmpfs and I'm suddenly interested in trying this
16 out. My question is, how much space do you allocate for the tmpfs? I
17 know it'll fall back to swap if I'm out of space there, but what works
18 well for you? I have (currently) 1GB RAM on this system, but I'm
19 getting ready to order more to get me to 4GB.
23 Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
24
25 Mark Haney
26 Sr. Systems Administrator
27 ERC Broadband