From: Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How do I choose a second window manager?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:15:44
1 On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Alex Alexander
2 <alex.alexander@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > fluxbox is a nice, lightweight, usable WM :)
5
6 I have used IceWM (http://www.icewm.org/) for years on an old P2
7 233MHz with 64Mb RAM. But you had to edit the menu by editing a text
8 file.
9
10 Ubuntu has a lightweight version (Xubuntu) which uses XFCE
11 (http://www.xfce.org/). You could download a xubuntu iso image and run
12 it from the live-cd to experience it's features.
13
14 XFCE seems to have a more active development (more recent releases)
15 than IceWM. That's also true for the e-builds:
16
17 http://www.gentoo-portage.com/xfce-base/xfce4/ChangeLog#ptabs
18
19 HTH,
20
21 Martin
22
23 P.S. anyone noticed that this time I didn't forget to send only plain
24 text instead of all the HTML stuff? :-D
25
26 > --
27 > Alex Alexander || wired
28 > Gentoo QT && KDE Herd Tester