From: Alex Alexander <alex.alexander@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How do I choose a second window manager?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:03:45
1 fluxbox is a nice, lightweight, usable WM :)
4 Alex Alexander || wired
5 Gentoo QT && KDE Herd Tester
6 http://www.linuxized.com
10 On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 15:53, Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
11 > Hi,
12 >   A discussion on another list made me realize I'm a little tired of
13 > Gnome. It does what I need, mostly, but it feels sort of old and dry.
14 > I haven't run KDE in years but I'm hesitant to build it and keep it up
15 > to date. I really think I'd like something more minimalistic. I ran
16 > fluxbox years ago and liked that it was small and fast but at the time
17 > getting to apps was a hand-crafted menu editing task that I'd rather
18 > not repeat today.
19 >
20 >   QUESTION: Is there something small, fast but also easy to use in
21 > terms of the environment automatically creating menus when apps are
22 > added or removed with emerge?
23 >
24 >   From a pure-fun standpoint something 3D might be fun, but I don't
25 > need it and expect that my old ATI Radeon X300 card probably isn't up
26 > to the task anyway.
27 >
28 >   How do others choose a window manager and what do you value in your
29 > window manager that makes you stick with it?
30 >
31 > Thanks,
32 > Mark
33 >