From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Local network backup
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:10:00
1 On Sunday 16 September 2007, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > This looks interesting - thanks. One thing - is it possible to install
4 > it on a box with no Web server? I tried the emerge just now and got
5 > fatal errors from webapp-config. I'll have a browse of the mailing
6 > list archives and see what I can turn up.
7
8 It probably can be done, but not through portage. My installation uses
9 it, so I have no definitive answer.
10 However, I guess that, with a manual installation and a considerable
11 amount of tweaking, you could make it work that way (even though the
12 docs list apache as a prerequisite).
13 However, consider that, without the web interface, you lose the ability
14 to browse through the backups and start backups and restores in a very
15 simple way. While backups and restores can still be started running the
16 appropriate scripts from the command line, restoring selected files or
17 directories and (most impostant) browsing existing backups becomes
18 nearly impossible, since the data is saved in a format quite difficult
19 to interpret with a normal file manager or using command line tools (ls,
20 find, etc.).
21 --
22 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list