From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Local network backup
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 12:18:10
1 On Saturday 15 Sep 2007, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2
3 > FWIW, I use app-backup/backuppc to backup some boxes. It runs as a daemon
4 > (ie, not from a cron job), can use a variety of transport protocols
5 > (ssh, rsync, smb - this lets you backup windows boxes), runs as an
6 > unprivileged user on the server, does not require anything to be
7 > installed on the clients, is highly configurable, and can be controlled
8 > using a nice web interface (ie, backups can be automatically initiated
9 > by the server or clients can request a backup of their box).
10 >
11 > hth
12
13 This looks interesting - thanks. One thing - is it possible to install it on a
14 box with no Web server? I tried the emerge just now and got fatal errors from
15 webapp-config. I'll have a browse of the mailing list archives and see what I
16 can turn up.
19 Rgds
20 Peter.
21 Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93