From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Local network backup
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:41:05
1 On Saturday 15 September 2007, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > In that case, either I'm not reading it straight or I'm doing
4 > something wrong in setting it up for myself. I'd better have another
5 > go.
6 >
7 > Thanks for your help.
8
9 FWIW, I use app-backup/backuppc to backup some boxes. It runs as a daemon
10 (ie, not from a cron job), can use a variety of transport protocols
11 (ssh, rsync, smb - this lets you backup windows boxes), runs as an
12 unprivileged user on the server, does not require anything to be
13 installed on the clients, is highly configurable, and can be controlled
14 using a nice web interface (ie, backups can be automatically initiated
15 by the server or clients can request a backup of their box).
16
17 Downsides:
18 - the portage version is not the latest (2.1.something vs.
19 3.0.something), but there is an experimental ebuild for the latest
20 version in bugzilla (I have not tried it though);
21 - if you want passwordless ssh root logins on the clients but your ssh
22 key is protected by a passphrase, you have to login as user backuppc and
23 start the daemon manually to enter the ssh passphrase (instead of using
24 the provided /etc/init.d script), but, as I said, this is a minor
25 nuisance, and has to be done only once when the machine is rebooted. If
26 your ssh key does not have a passphrase, there are no problems at all.
27
28 hth
29 --
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list