From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] latest k3b and system locale
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 02:31:01
1 Mark Haney wrote:
2 >
3 > System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
4 > Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode filenames)
5 > is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this has been done
6 > intentionally. Most likely the locale is not set at all. An invalid
7 > setting will result in problems when creating data projects.
8 > Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
9 > environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools
10 > take care of this.
13 As far as I can tell it doesn't have any negative impact. It looks like
14 it wants the LC_* environment vars set - which maybe should be set by
15 baselayout or something. I imagine it is just a non-ideality unless you
16 are using foreign character sets (in which case you likely know more
17 about locales than I do!).
18
19 Is anybody around here knowledgeable about locales/etc?
20
21 > I noticed on the notes after the upgrade that k3bsetup isn't included in
22 > the ebuild now. So, my question is, how do I fix this, or is it even a
23 > problem?
26 I believe the message indicated that it wasn't included because it was
27 no-longer needed. So you shouldn't need to do anything. This utility
28 checks executable/device permissions and adjusts them so that users can
29 burn discs. Apparently gentoo's permissions now work out-of-the-box.
30
31 Oh - one thing I did notice about the new k3b is that you might want to
32 turn on auto-blanking of rewritable media. While testing this package I
33 was able to get it to create a DVD with leftover directory entries from
34 the previous image (which didn't work - the directory entries were there
35 but the files were not - ls showed them in flashing red).
38 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list