From: Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista.
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:50:52
1 I thought I had cracked my problem of writing to a usb external ntfs HD, but I
2 was wrong. Let me pose the problem and hopefully somebody out there will be
3 able to set me straight.
4 I have mp3 files on an internal HD in my gentoo box. I back this up to an
5 external usb HD formated for ext2 - no problems.
6 I have now bought another external HD which I want to copy my mp3's to and be
7 able to play them when the external HD is plugged into a vista machine.
8 So the HD is formated with ntfs and works with vista but when I plug it into
9 gentoo and mount either automatically or manually I can not write to the
10 disk. I just get an error message as a user -- "Unable to enter
11 file:///mnt/external. You do not have access rights to this location."
12 As root the permissions seem to be correct user=root,Group=root,Owner Can View
13 & Modify Content but if I try as user to create a folder I get "Could not
14 make folder /mnt/external/New Folder." message.
15
16 So the question is:- How do I get an external usb disk to be writable on
17 gentoo and vista?
18
19 Thanks for any help
20 Paul
21 --
22 This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux