From: Chris Faulkner <cfaulkner70@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista.
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:04:37
1 emerge ntfs3g
2
3 should solve your woes
4
5 On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6
7 > I thought I had cracked my problem of writing to a usb external ntfs HD,
8 > but I
9 > was wrong. Let me pose the problem and hopefully somebody out there will
10 > be
11 > able to set me straight.
12 > I have mp3 files on an internal HD in my gentoo box. I back this up to an
13 > external usb HD formated for ext2 - no problems.
14 > I have now bought another external HD which I want to copy my mp3's to and
15 > be
16 > able to play them when the external HD is plugged into a vista machine.
17 > So the HD is formated with ntfs and works with vista but when I plug it
18 > into
19 > gentoo and mount either automatically or manually I can not write to the
20 > disk. I just get an error message as a user -- "Unable to enter
21 > file:///mnt/external. You do not have access rights to this location."
22 > As root the permissions seem to be correct user=root,Group=root,Owner Can
23 > View
24 > & Modify Content but if I try as user to create a folder I get "Could not
25 > make folder /mnt/external/New Folder." message.
26 >
27 > So the question is:- How do I get an external usb disk to be writable on
28 > gentoo and vista?
29 >
30 > Thanks for any help
31 > Paul
32 > --
33 > This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux