From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Machine recommendations?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 06:35:11
1 Thanasis posted on Sun, 15 Mar 2015 21:44:54 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 03/15/2015 09:08 PM, Leonid Eremin wrote:
4 >>
5 >> But here's 2 major cons [of high-power power-supplies]:
6 >> 1. high power PSUs are less effective at low power usage.
7 >
8 > Maybe if consumption is less than 10% of the PSU's rating, ie less than
9 > 30W for a 300W PSU.
10
11 My ideal would be a reasonably low-power, passively cooled (no fans)
12 power supply. Low power because high power passive-cooling gets
13 massively heavy and expensive. Passively cooled as it's for a router to
14 which among other things my VoIP phone adapter connects, which means it's
15 going to be on all the time, and thus needs to be silent or nearly so, at
16 least at low usage.
17
18 On my main machine both the CPU and PSU fans are heat controlled, the PSU
19 fan automatically on its own, the CPU fan configured that way in the
20 BIOS. However, while the main CPU fan can actually stop if the temp is
21 low enough (in the winter when I first turn on the machine, I get the
22 warning buzz for a minute or so as the fan isn't on yet, until it warms
23 up, and I have a minimum speed set below which I get a buzz as under
24 normal operations it won't be going that slow), the PSU fans don't turn
25 down low enough and can bother me if I leave the machine on, say playing
26 rain sounds, when I'm trying to sleep.
27
28 Which is why I jumped at the idea of having the router play at least
29 music-only and still-frame youtube, etc, in an earlier reply, once I saw
30 it discussed on that media-player-machine forum.
31
32 At some point, I'll probably buy a new PSU for the main machine too, as
33 the current one is massively overpowered for the job, but it's what I
34 had. (This PSU originally powered my old dual-socket original-3-digit-
35 opteron machine, which I was at one point running with four spinning-rust
36 disks in raid, etc, so it's 850 watt IIRC, while my kil-a-watt says the
37 entire system including LED-based TV/monitors rarely tops 400 watt,
38 meaning the computer itself should do fine with a 250-300 watt power
39 supply, tho I've been going to kil-a-watt check it one of these days to
40 see what it actually takes, and haven't yet.) But meanwhile, if I'm just
41 playing stuff like 12-hours-of-rain while I sleep, with the new amd64
42 router, I might as well simply use it and turn off the main machine.
43
44 But since the router /is/ going to be on all the time, connecting the
45 phone adapter if nothing else, I'll definitely want quiet, if not
46 /entirely/ passive, CPU /and/ PSU heat sink/fans.
47
48 For the side of the main machine, I did buy at frys some time ago a big
49 8"/200mm fan, 750 RPM, IIRC 110 CFPM, that's close to silent. Ideally I
50 could put something like that in the side of the router to ensure
51 reasonable circulation, and go entirely passive on the CPU cooler at
52 least. I know at 250 watt and so they have passively-cooled PSUs as
53 well, but I've not looked into it /too/ deeply yet. I want the thing up
54 and running first, and plan on tweaking things like the PSU, if
55 necessary, afterward.
56
57 But if I can find something reasonably cheap and near enough to silent, I
58 might as well get it from the beginning. Which (besides simply running
59 out of time) is the reason I more or less just picked a reasonable case/
60 psu number and ran with it for that baseline cost estimate.
61
62 >> 2. more expensive, after all.
63 >
64 > Not necessarily. Is $45 expensive for a 300W PSU like
65 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151113
66
67 Well, considering the one case with 250W PSU newegg was offering on
68 bundle was $50, $45 for the PSU alone, at a decidedly run-of-the-mill
69 300W, is indeed "expensive".
70
71 But two things to note about that particular PSU.
72
73 1) It's not standard ATX. It's TFX12V, which since I'm looking at SFF
74 (small form factor) cases, may be useful, depending on the case I get,
75 but it's definitely NOT the standard power supply most people will be
76 most familiar with. (FWIW, I just looked it up and wikipedia's power
77 supply unit (computer) page has a short mention/description of TFX12V
78 under "Other form factors", while to the extent it's different, most of
79 the page covers ATX. TFX12V is described as common for small and low-
80 profile systems like mATX and FlexATX, and some of the smaller mITX
81 cases, mITX being the board and cases I'm looking at, may standardize on
82 it too.)
83
84 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_%28computer%
85 29#Other_form_factors
86
87 So it's /not/ a standard ATX power supply, likely accounting for at least
88 part of the reason it's $45 for only a relatively low-power 300 watt,
89 since TFX12V won't get the same manufacturing volume and thus discounts.
90
91 Non-ATX power-supply-cases is part of the additional research I'm doing,
92 so when I saw the PSU photo, I immediately picked up on the non-ATX size
93 and checked what it was, then looked that up, as I've not memorized the
94 various abbreviations yet.
95
96 2) This PSU /does/ say "super low fan noise" in the specs, and the
97 reviews seem to agree, tho the noise level in dB isn't actually
98 quantified for comparison purposes.
99
100 I'd be a bit skeptical of the feature claim on its own without an actual
101 comparable dB quantification, but the reviews do alleviate my skepticism
102 somewhat. That may be an additional reason for the price.
103
104 And of course it's gold-plus certified efficiency, with an 87% efficiency
105 number claim. Again, justifies a bit higher cost.
106
107 So all in all, while I've yet to do PSU comparisons and may not need to
108 if I buy a case/psu combo, $45 doesn't sound unreasonable, given the
109 three points above. I'll have to keep this one in mind as I do my case/
110 psu shopping, as it may just fit the bill perfectly if I buy a case
111 without bundled supply, that fits TFX12v, not ATX.
116 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman