From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Local network backup
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:01:33
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200709141303.46235.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Fri, 14 Sep
3 2007 13:03:46 +0100:
4
5 >> That said, backing up your personal data to it seems like a not very
6 >> good idea. Were you planning on encrypting it or something?
7
8 This is what disturbed me about the idea as well. Ideally, you keep
9 everything personal off the firewall, and at a slightly less priority,
10 don't depend on it for anything you might run that could be rooted (thus
11 killing the idea of system backups).
12
13 > I see what you mean, but really the main use of the backup would be to
14 > recover a working system to a damaged box (I can be just as clumsy in
15 > admin as anyone else), rather than spending a week or more rebuilding it
16 > from source. User data could perhaps be backed up elsewhere - I have a
17 > handy little USB disk that would do nicely.
18
19 Well, keeping user data elsewhere is a good first step, but consider what
20 happens if you have to use that system backup and it has been rooted.
21 Are you willing to risk the integrity of that data any more than your
22 personal data? What will have been the value of storing the personal
23 value elsewhere if you now restore it to a system rebuilt from possibly
24 rooted data?
25
26 >> Is there a wireless router thrown in there somewhere?
27 >
28 > The one wireless link is between the laptop and an access point; the WAP
29 > is connected to an Ethernet switch which lives between the workstation
30 > and the gateway. Why do you ask?
31
32 Strictly speaking, anything transmitted over the air should be considered
33 the same as transmitting it over the Internet in general -- IOW, keep the
34 AP outside the firewall, or in a DMZ behind an initial firewall/router
35 and an inside one protecting the wired network upon which you put
36 anything you'd not want exposed to the Internet in general. *OR* encrypt
37 anything transmitted over the wireless to the same level you'd feel
38 comfortable with were it transmitted over the Internet. If you are sure
39 you trust the WEP or whatever of the wireless to the same level you'd
40 trust your encrypted banking session, well, you can send your banking
41 info over it, otherwise... Because once it's on air the wise thing is to
42 simply assume that someone's listening in, just as is the case with the
43 Internet. If it's encrypted to your satisfaction, great, if not, assume
44 it's now publicly exposed info, because it's possible it is.
45
46 ...
47
48 For system rebuild scenarios, I use FEATURES=buildpkg here, and then
49 periodically backup my packages dir (which is also on my main system's
50 RAID-6, for a bit of redundancy at that level, tho that won't of course
51 protect from fat-fingering or the kernel-rc I decide to try that has a
52 bugged md/raid that scribbles gibberish all over my previously working
53 RAID). That gives me binary packages of everything should I need to
54 rebuild, so it shouldn't take a week, tho it'll take a few hours. Of
55 course, a backup of /etc and other INSTALL_PROTECT dirs should be made as
56 well, so you don't have to reconfigure everything. Private data backups
57 are a bit different.
58
59 For the reasons explained above, I'd not be comfortable putting backup
60 data on a firewall machine -- at least not unless I had it checksummed or
61 signed to detect tampering (which handily detects in-transit and in-
62 storage corruption as well =8^), with those checksums stored elsewhere,
63 say on a USB key or the like.
64
65 What I'd suggest these days would be backing up the config and anything
66 private from the laptop onto the desktop, then using an eSATA (external
67 SATA, the connection's about the same but the connectors speced to be a
68 bit more robust, but you could use standard SATA if you were careful)
69 drive attached to it to backup its private data and config, plus the
70 shared package data (you don't need to backup the laptop's data from it
71 however, as one would hope you don't lose both the laptop and the desktop
72 at once). Keep the external drive unplugged except for the once weekly
73 or whatever that you do the backup. If you are really paranoid, do the
74 two separate sets thing, alternating full backups so you have the
75 previous week's backup if you lose both the machine and the external disk
76 during a backup session.
77
78 The beautiful thing about hard drive media backups is that you can pretty
79 much simply copy all your data over just as it is, not worrying about
80 fancy backup formats or whatever. To restore, you just copy it back, and
81 if you have it setup right and you chose your hardware and kernel etc
82 config with this in mind as well, you can even boot the backup itself and
83 have a fully working system to work in while doing the restore.
84
85 I recommend SATA/eSATA because the bus speeds are higher than USB 2.0 and
86 Firewire 400 (Firewire 800 is getting there, of course the drive itself
87 may not be any faster than USB 2.0 anyway, but it doesn't hurt), and they
88 don't incur the protocol transfer overhead that the USB/FW stuff does --
89 depending on the hardware you choose for implementation, you may be able
90 to use the same kernel hardware drivers you use for your standard
91 internal storage, yet they have all the convenience of pluggable external
92 drives! =8^)
93
94 Here, I'm actually looking at the possibility of plugging in external
95 eSATA based 5:1 port-multiplier-ed boxes for my next RAID upgrade, tho
96 it's wish-list more than anything else at this point. The other
97 alternative is to remain internal, but switch to 2.5" drives using
98 available 4/5.25" drive bay multiplexers. I've four such bays available
99 for hard drive use in my full-tower, which would allow for 16 such drives
100 (I'd obviously use port multipliers there as well). If I reserve two as
101 hot-swap and use RAID-6 with its two parity-stripes, that'll give me a
102 12-way data striped RAID array, which should be reasonably fast even at
103 the slower speeds of 2.5" drives. Still wish-list, tho, and I expect
104 it'll be another couple years before it moves off wish-list status.
109 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
112 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list