From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Local network backup
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:19:40
1 On Friday 14 Sep 2007, Wil Reichert wrote:
2 > I'm assuming since you're asking this question your firewall is locked down
3 > pretty tight.
4
5 Not particularly, but it seems silly to take needless risks. It has shorewall
6 to manage iptables, but I still let it run squid, ntpd, dnsmasq and a few
7 other little goodies. I suppose I rely on shorewall to keep me safe.
8
9 > That said, backing up your personal data to it seems like a not very good
10 > idea. Were you planning on encrypting it or something?
11
12 I see what you mean, but really the main use of the backup would be to recover
13 a working system to a damaged box (I can be just as clumsy in admin as anyone
14 else), rather than spending a week or more rebuilding it from source. User
15 data could perhaps be backed up elsewhere - I have a handy little USB disk
16 that would do nicely.
17
18 > Who uses your internal network seems to be the variable here. Is this at
19 > work or home?
20
21 The clue was in "my tiny LAN" which means my own :-)
22
23 > Is there a wireless router thrown in there somewhere?
24
25 The one wireless link is between the laptop and an access point; the WAP is
26 connected to an Ethernet switch which lives between the workstation and the
27 gateway. Why do you ask?
30 Rgds
31 Peter.
32 Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93