From: Wil Reichert <wil.reichert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Local network backup
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:11:44
1 On 9/14/07, Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Friday 14 Sep 2007, Wil Reichert wrote:
3 > > I'm assuming since you're asking this question your firewall is locked down
4 > > pretty tight.
5 >
6 > Not particularly, but it seems silly to take needless risks. It has shorewall
7 > to manage iptables, but I still let it run squid, ntpd, dnsmasq and a few
8 > other little goodies. I suppose I rely on shorewall to keep me safe.
9 >
10 > > That said, backing up your personal data to it seems like a not very good
11 > > idea. Were you planning on encrypting it or something?
12 >
13 > I see what you mean, but really the main use of the backup would be to recover
14 > a working system to a damaged box (I can be just as clumsy in admin as anyone
15 > else), rather than spending a week or more rebuilding it from source. User
16 > data could perhaps be backed up elsewhere - I have a handy little USB disk
17 > that would do nicely.
18 >
19 > > Who uses your internal network seems to be the variable here. Is this at
20 > > work or home?
21 >
22 > The clue was in "my tiny LAN" which means my own :-)
23 >
24 > > Is there a wireless router thrown in there somewhere?
25 >
26 > The one wireless link is between the laptop and an access point; the WAP is
27 > connected to an Ethernet switch which lives between the workstation and the
28 > gateway. Why do you ask?
29
30 Shorewall is good =)
31
32 If its your own private LAN with no (few?) external users, why bother
33 with ssh & encrypting traffic?
34
35 Wil
36 --