From: Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] System died going from 2005.0 to 2005.1
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:49:31
1 > My system has developed serious problems related to the emul libs. The
2 > advice given as a reply to my bug has made the system impossible to
3 > upgrade using emerge. It is possible the problem dates back to the
4 > 2004.3->2005.0 upgrade, I don't know.
5 >
6 > Is there a way to build a "from scratch" 2005.1 system over the net
7 > without having to download and boot from a CD? Will it leave my user
8 > directories alone? The installation docs assume that you don't have a
9 > runnig gentoo system and start with a boot CD.
10
11 I had to install a few Gentoo systems over the net from preexisting Red
12 Hat installations.
13
14 The way I usually did was:
15 1. Backup any important data (including /home etc)
16 2. Remove the swap from the system (swapoff)
17 3. Change the swap partition from 82 to type 83 (Linux) with fdisk
18 4. Reboot (if necessary after the fdisk)
19 5. Format that partition to the file system you want
20 6. Install a stage3 into that partition
21 7. Chroot into it, do the basic things you need to get your system
22 working. Update the stage3 to the latest version. Get at least the
23 password changed. network configured, ssh etc
24
25 If downtime is bad and there is enough space, install apache and mysql,
26 configure them etc.
27
28 As I had to keep downtime to a minimum I'll follow along that patg.
29
30 8. Add the old root into gentoo's fstab so that it mounts somewhere.
31 Add another line so that the old system /home is mounted as the new /home
32 Do the same with databases and any other directory (such as mail queue
33 etc) that you need to provide service.
34
35 9. Leave the chroot
36 10. Modify your boot loader to start with the new partition, with maybe a
37 fallback to the old one.
38
39 11. Reboot
40 12. Log into the (hopefully) new system.
41 13. If everything is ok, start deleting the old system's file from the
42 partition, be careful not to delete the home and database files (or
43 anything mount binded).
44 14. Create a new directory on the oldroot and change to it.
45 15. Move the new system files to the newroot, preserving everything (tar
46 is good for that). Take care to exclude /proc and /sys from it, but do
47 create the directories. Also you should exclude /tmp and recreate it
48 properly.
49 17. Update the fstab for the new system.
50 16. Kill the services, umount anything that you did in 8.
51
52 17. Modify your boot loader to load the old parttion.
53 18. Reboot
54 19. Check that everything is ok / works
55 20. Redo the swap partition.
56
57 Everything should come back fine. Of course, YMMV. You need about 1.5gb to
58 do it for a simple system.
59 --
60 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list