From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: System died going from 2005.0 to 2005.1
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 11:30:11
1 Nuitari posted <Pine.LNX.4.63.0510081830160.22462@××××××××××××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 08 Oct 2005 18:47:20 -0400:
3
4 >> My system has developed serious problems related to the emul libs. The
5 >> advice given as a reply to my bug has made the system impossible to
6 >> upgrade using emerge. It is possible the problem dates back to the
7 >> 2004.3->2005.0 upgrade, I don't know.
8 >>
9 >> Is there a way to build a "from scratch" 2005.1 system over the net
10 >> without having to download and boot from a CD? Will it leave my user
11 >> directories alone? The installation docs assume that you don't have a
12 >> runnig gentoo system and start with a boot CD.
13 >
14 > I had to install a few Gentoo systems over the net from preexisting Red
15 > Hat installations.
16
17 As others have stated, there are likely other ways to do it (try emerge
18 --emptytree first, if that doesn't work, try Tres's suggestion, untarring
19 the stage tarball over your existing setup, then emerge --emptytree).
20
21 However, Nuitari's general method, installing from an existing system into
22 new partitions, while still being able to use the existing system while
23 you are doing it, works fine. I used it myself, coming from Mandrake.
24
25 There is, however, an official document to help, proven to work as it has
26 been used by many, so you don't have to worry that Nuitari forgot a step
27 or something. =8^) It's called the "Alternative Installation Guide", and
28 is actually mentioned in the Gentoo Handbook, Part 1 (Installation),
29 Chapter 1 (About), under "What are my Options".
30
31 The direct link to the Alternatve Installation Guide is:
32
33 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml .
34
35 You'll want Chapter 6, Installing Gentoo from an existing Linux
36 Distribution, direct link:
37
38 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap6
39
40 Basically, that tells you how to use a chroot off of an existing
41 installation, describing how this method differs from the normal
42 installation method described in the handbook (thus, you still use the
43 handbook for most of the installation). During the first part of the
44 process, while you are still in the chroot, you can continue doing your
45 normal stuff in other sessions outside the chroot, which allows you to
46 take all the time you need getting the new installation up and running.
47 You can actually stop working on the install and continue using your old
48 system for a couple weeks, if you get busy and don't have time to work on
49 it, because your old system continues to work as it did before you started
50 the new install.
51
52 As I said, it only details how this method differs from a normal install,
53 so you'll want the regular handbook install section available as well.
54 Here's the general amd64 handbook link:
55
56 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml
61 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
62 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
66 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list