From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: What should the swap size be for 4G ram?
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:32:39
1 On Samstag, 22. September 2007, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > FWIW I'm running the kernel 2.6.23-rcs, which of course have the new CFS
4 > CPU scheduler. I wasn't too happy with it originally, as it'd zero out X
5 > responsiveness much faster than the old scheduler did, but it has gotten
6 > somewhat better as the rcs have progressed. I don't think it's quite
7 > where the old one was yet, but if one truly wants "fair", one should
8 > expect to play with priorities/niceness a bit more to keep smooth X
9 > operation when running 200+ load average and heavy swapping. It's
10 > certainly reasonable now; something I couldn't have said back around rc-3
11 > or 4, when I was pretty unhappy with it. I guess we see how good they
12 > did when it releases and we see if there's any outcry on people having
13 > trouble with X or whatever.
14
15 two things:
16
17 I am using cfs for a long time now - since shortly after the first patches.
18 And everytime a new patch arrived I compared it with an unpatched kernel (at
19 the moment 2.6.22.5) and everytime I had the same result:
20
21 X is much, much, much and a lot better with cfs. I never had such a snappy X.
22 X rules with cfs. It is just great. Under load, without load, it does not
23 matter. cfs is better. I am really curios what I did right that you do wrong.
24
25 second:
26 a little bit less text would be great. This was almost TL;DR. You turned a
27 simple question about swapsize into a large sermon about your cool box with
28 it bazillion of gb ram, its superduper harddisk setup and its amazing
29 computing power that makes it survive a 200 load.
30
31 Back at school you would have failed the test because of missing the point.
32
33 Remember: this is an international list. Less text is almost always much more
34 readable. Not everybody enjoys picking the few cherries of relevant
35 information out of a sea of words.
36
37 Glück Auf
38 --