From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: What should the swap size be for 4G ram?
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:36:45
1 Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 46F53191.8040204@××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Sat, 22 Sep 2007
3 11:15:29 -0400:
4
5 > That's Ok, I got a chuckle out of it. You have Duncan who doesn't use
6 > swap at all (I think),
7
8 I ran entirely without for awhile back when I had a gig of memory, but I
9 turned it back on to allow suspend to disk (aka hibernate), then got the
10 4-way RAID before I upped memory, and set it up for 4x4-gig of striped
11 swap. The kernel will stripe swap automatically when you set swap
12 partitions to the same priority, as I've done here. I didn't setup the
13 swap on top of RAID-0.
14
15 I do use swap occasionally; the last time was when I recompiled qt-3 I
16 think -- with unlimited jobs and $PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs! IIRC it ran
17 up 200+ load average (1 minute), used up all 8 gigs memory, and ran 7
18 gigs into swap, before the system got slow enough it wasn't updating
19 ksysguard any more and I couldn't tell how much worse it got. =8^)
20
21 I'm glad I was running striped swap or it probably would have been there
22 quite some time, but it ran a nearly frozen GUI for several minutes, then
23 started coming back to life, as I could see the load and memory usage
24 climbing back down.
25
26 FWIW I'm running the kernel 2.6.23-rcs, which of course have the new CFS
27 CPU scheduler. I wasn't too happy with it originally, as it'd zero out X
28 responsiveness much faster than the old scheduler did, but it has gotten
29 somewhat better as the rcs have progressed. I don't think it's quite
30 where the old one was yet, but if one truly wants "fair", one should
31 expect to play with priorities/niceness a bit more to keep smooth X
32 operation when running 200+ load average and heavy swapping. It's
33 certainly reasonable now; something I couldn't have said back around rc-3
34 or 4, when I was pretty unhappy with it. I guess we see how good they
35 did when it releases and we see if there's any outcry on people having
36 trouble with X or whatever.
37
38 Back to swap, striped swap isn't so bad. Running more than 4 gig of
39 single-spindle swap can be a killer tho, as the effects of a multi-gig
40 swap-storm on a slow single-spindle disk setup aren't pretty! =8^(
41
42 That said, the main reason I run swap now is for suspend-to-disk aka
43 hibernate. It's nice to be able to have the system shut off when I'm at
44 work or sleeping, and turn it back on to have it restore the session as I
45 left it. Unfortunately, it can only use a single swap device for the
46 suspend image, so since I have the 16 gigs spread across 4 disks equally,
47 the max suspend image I can create is 4 gigs, only half of my physical
48 memory size! I'm thinking about layering swap on top of RAID-0
49 (assembled based on the kernel command line, so before the restore
50 starts) to see if I can avoid that and get a full 8 gig suspend image to
51 match my memory size, plus faster read-in as well, but haven't tried it
52 yet and am not positive it's supported. IOW, the automatic combination
53 of swap partitions into striped swap works for swap, but not for the
54 suspend image, unfortunately, so (if it works) there's still reason to
55 layer swap on RAID-0 after all.
60 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
63 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list