From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kde-base components blocking each other
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 04:42:59
1 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> posted h0f7dm$9cd$1@×××××××××.org,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 07 Jun 2009 05:07:52 +0300:
3
4 > John P. Burkett wrote:
5 >> Today on an amd64 machine I did
6 >> emerge -D -uav world
7 >> and got a response including the following lines: [...] I would be
8 >> grateful for suggestions about how to resolve this blockage.
9 >
10 > The rule of thumb: "by unmerging all packages that have the blockers and
11 > running 'emerge -Duav world' again."
12
13 Yes.
14
15 In particular, in this instance, the old KDE 3.5.9 stuff is depending on
16 kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.9(-rWhatever), and KDE's now trying to upgrade to
17 3.5.10(-rWhatever), but finding blockers because kdelibs is one of the
18 first upgrades, so you'd have the system in an inconsistent (according to
19 dependencies) state temporarily, after kdelibs has been upgraded to
20 3.5.10 but before the other parts of KDE (kdebase, kdemultimedia, kdepim,
21 etc) have likewise been upgraded to 3.5.10.
22
23 Note that newer versions of portage have /automatic/ blocker resolution
24 in many temporary cases, so depending on how old your portage is (of
25 course I'm on ~amd64 and have had 3.5.10 for months now, and don't know
26 if the feature is in stable portage yet), if at the --ask prompt, you
27 tell it to go ahead, it may well take care of everything for you without
28 you having to do anything else. =:^)
29
30 But, regardless of whether you have to fix it manually or not, note that
31 there may be a point during the merge where parts of KDE won't run
32 correctly, because you still have 3.5.9 components built against kdelibs
33 3.5.9, trying to run against the new kdelibs 3.5.10. It's unlikely (but
34 possible) KDE will crash if you are running it at the time, but until
35 everything gets brought back into consistency, you may have trouble
36 starting any new KDE apps. If nothing else, plan to restart KDE (or
37 reboot entirely, tho that shouldn't be needed some people not
38 particularly comfortable at the shell prompt find it easier) when the
39 upgrade is done, so you get the benefit of all the new 3.5.10 goodness.
40 =:^)
41
42 IOW, postpone the upgrade if you are planning a vital presentation or
43 something right away, that you just HAVE to have a working KDE for, and
44 anytime when processing blockers, be prepared in case the system does get
45 temporarily inconsistent enough that part of it crashes. The problem is
46 of course somewhat worse with KDE than with a lot of things, because
47 KDE's so big and emerging it takes quite some time on slower systems,
48 thereby leaving a larger gap time during which the system isn't entirely
49 self-consistent.
50
51 BTW, if you don't do it regularly already, when you're done with a big
52 upgrade like this is a great time to run revdep-rebuild, to catch any
53 library inconsistencies, etc, then emerge --depclean, to clean out any
54 dependencies the old stuff needed that the new stuff doesn't, then revdep-
55 rebuild again, just to be sure cleaning out the dependencies didn't leave
56 anything hanging. Of course, as usual, use --pretend or --ask first, as
57 appropriate, just to be sure it's not going to be doing anything
58 unexpected. With --depclean that's particularly important as it'll want
59 to remove anything not in your @world or @system sets or dependencies of
60 them.
61
62 FWIW, I always use -NuD (newuse upgrade deep) when I update, and I always
63 revdep-rebuild and depclean after I'm done, just to be sure the system
64 always stays as consistent and clean of cruft as possible, and because
65 that helps keep the size of the job small enough to deal with since I
66 always deal with it right away, before I get a huge backlog. That's also
67 why I like updating 2-3 times a week. Even waiting a full week, the
68 number of packages to update, particularly when there's a KDE update
69 thrown in, can become big enough it's difficult to cope with. If I
70 update every couple days, then when the big KDE or xorg update comes down
71 the line, it's almost all there is to worry about, where if I waited even
72 a week, there's many more other packages to worry about too. Not to
73 mention if I waited a month, three months, or more, like some people do.
74 That'd be a nightmare for me!
79 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman