From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Replacement for Thunderbird.
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 23:52:47
1 Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au> posted
2 200711180906.41607.paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au, excerpted below, on Sun,
3 18 Nov 2007 09:06:41 +1100:
4
5 >> That is a good question. I cannot support all the votes for kmail. If
6 >> you want to switch to mdir based mailboxes and you want to use kmail
7 >> just as a local mailbox reader, the first thing that kmail does, is to
8 >> move all your mails into some obscure ~/kde3.5/share/apps/kmail/...
9 >> directory. After that, your mails are not available for other
10 >> mail-clients any more. nice behaviour, isn't it? I couldn't find a way
11 >> to tell kmail not to do that, but to read the mails from the
12 >> preconfigured place instead.
13 >>
14 >> A second point is, that kmail does not scale well for large mailboxes.
17 > I've been using kmail for years, and it's always been happy to keep my
18 > email under ~/Mail and I have no trouble using mutt to access the kmail
19 > directory when I an logged in via ssh.
20
21 Same here, only I keep my mail under /mail/<user>/. I did look to see
22 where the setting is in the current GUI and didn't see it, but found it
23 in ~/.kde3.5/share/config/kmailrc, in the [general] section,
24 folders=<path>. I suppose I set it years ago, and every new version has
25 picked it up from the old settings.
26
27 Now, the dir you mentioned, ~/kde3.5/share/apps/kmail, does contain a
28 bunch of state settings, apparently the read/unread record for all the
29 mail folders under the root location (/mail/<user>/ here), but that's
30 simply app config information, stored in one of the two standard user KDE
31 config dirs (the other being ~/kde3.5/share/config), not the mail itself.
32
33 As for scaling, I too have seen no issues there.
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
41 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list